Monday, February 8, 2010

Here we go again...

So I leave for the Dominican Republic in 6 days. Once again there is the gumbo of thoughts and emotions going on in my head. I'm excited, overwhelmed, anxious, expecting, grateful, unsure, confident…Did you follow all of those? Cause I never can…

I think I feel this way because I never know what to expect for a trip. There are always so many details and things going on at home before I leave that I rarely have time to even wrap my brain around what will go on during the trip. Which usually is a good thing because it gives God a chance to mold the experience and the lessons on a fresh canvas without having to muck through everything I thought it would be.

With all the trips lately there have been a lot of questions from everyone around me. Why do I go on all these trips? Why don't I settle in one area? How do I afford all of the trips? Not gonna lie I wasn't a fan of the questions at first. Not that I haven't thought about them because I think about them and pray about them almost constantly but it's so hard to put into words sometimes but I'll try.

As far as why and finances I'll answer with a verse which sum up MY answers to these questions.
"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare." Isaiah 55: 2

I don't think "mission hopping" as I heard it described lately is always a bad thing. I don't know if or when I will go full time, that is up to God. And I don't know which people group. That is also up to God. A lump of clay is molded first then given it's place and it's purpose…I'm still very much being molded. I'm learning which groups I have a heart for, how I approach ministry, and what my spiritual gifts are and how I can use them to most glorify God. Each trip I grow a little more, I discern a little more and I get to see another part of God's kingdom. Would I love to know what people I'm called to and settle and really build into a community? Of course. But God hasn't called me there yet and until then I am excited to embrace where God IS calling me.

2 comments:

  1. Helena!! I love this post. It is so beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement and scripture from Isaiah... good stuff :) Enjoy the Dominican! I will be praying for you! Love you!

    Your sister,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you. Just follow where God wants you to go. There's no such thing as mission hopping...there's only doing the work for the Kingdom! Following Christ is our mission. Be encouraged! :-)

    ReplyDelete